"If adventures do not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad" — Jane Austen

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

¡¿Confianza?! ¿¿¡Yo la tengo?!!

TODAY. Today was great. Everyday is great. So for the first few weeks I was in my flat, my flat mate Ana spoke English with me to make it a little easier of a transition from the U.S. to Spain, but Nathalia my other flat mate came home for a few days so we started speaking solely Spanish.  If I have trouble knowing what a word means then Ana can explain something to me, but we try to speak Spanish.  It's only been a few days since we've been doing this, but can I just say, I already feel better about my Spanish?! I don't know what it is, but I feel like I have more confidence speaking already.  Of course I'm making mistakes, but that's okay! It's ALL part of the learning process. :) I am embracing the imperfectness that is my Spanish. And it feels GOOD! Of course I'm still not able to express myself that well so sometimes it's definitely a challenge getting my point across.  Like when me and my friend Juan were trying to explain to this lady who worked at the Chinese store that we were looking for a cookie sheet.  We didn't know the word for cookie sheet in Spanish so we explained it is a dish you put cookies on to bake them in the oven. She for some reason thought that we were talking about baking pasta? Whaaat? I don't know.  We didn't find one like I said in my post earlier.  Oh well. It may be for the better haha.  So.  I felt like superwoman the other day when I went on a run right? Well today. I feel like freaking old woman.  I could hardly walk down the stairs after class! It was quite an event going up and down those today... I rode the bus to class with Ana until my stop in front of the filología hispánica facultat and went to my U.S./English history class.  Man I'm such a cheater. The professor was trying to explain that Queen Elizabeth had no kids, therefore when she died, she died heirless; but. she ended up pronouncing it that Queen Elizabeth had no kids, therefore when she died, she died HAIRLESS. OH MAN. We couldn't help but laugh at that one. hahaha After class, Juan and I went and ate lunch for cheap at a cafe, a tortilla (no not the Mexican variety of a pita, this is like an omelet) and sausage sandwich. Delicious with some Coca-Cola of course.  After that, Juan and I hung out at his apartment until class again at 3.  We talked about PHONETICS in my Español en America class today, I enjoyed it a little too much!!! =D  I knew what she was talking about the whole time. Liquids, velarization, dipthongs, etc... Now that's the kind of Spanish I could get used to learning about. Hopefully we spend a few more class periods on the phonetics of the different accents of Spanish!!
I went to my flat and Skyped with Mom for a little while.  After that, I decided to head to a tea shop my friend Joan had suggested to me.  It was amazing.  Hundreds of different types of teas!!! I didn't know how to even pick out just one.  I'll have to go back to try just a few! I sampled a mint raspberry floral tea that was very refreshing and I enjoyed a lot.  The people were really nice and were waiting patiently for me to decide which flavors I wanted.  I even got a free sample of chai tea since I didn't get any normal chai :) I noticed on my way out, that there's an antique book store across the alleyway from the tea shop.  I will be checking this out for sure sometime in the near future. It seemed pretty busy when I was leaving the tea shop or I would have stopped tonight.
I got back to my flat and Ana and I went to dinner! There's a restaurant where on every Wednesday they have all their tapas for 1 Euro, so you go and order 4 or 5 different types of sandwiches since they are mini for 5 euros.  They were PACKED though, so she led us to a different little cafe to eat.  It was tasty! We had brie and marmalade with toasted bread, and baguette pieces of bread with a sort of paste on one slice, and smoked salmon on the other... look at how awesome Emily has become. Trying Salmon??!! Salmon is not a type of food I usually like, but the smoked Salmon I had tonight was absolutely delicious. I should have taken a picture.  We got home and ordered all of the essential things for the house like laundry soap, milk, water, etc. for the next few months online before going to bed!  Ana and I talked the whole night in Spanish.  I am so proud of myself for just diving in.  My first few weeks I avoided Spanish like the plague, but I have this new desire to just immerse myself.  I love the Spanish people and their culture, I want to embrace Spanish and be able to call it my second language.  It's crazy how fast you can get hooked on a place!!!!! Ah Valencia. :)
Time for bed now though! I have early class at 12 tomorrow =P

1 comment:

  1. Exciting to hear about your progress and satisfaction speaking Spanish. Also, I'm salivating reading about the good food there. Glad all is going well, kiddo.

    ReplyDelete